Monday, March 3, 2014

Bargains and Blue & White


This Saturday I drove up to McDonald's to get my daily fix of iced coffee (I'm an addict) and noticed a yard sale sign on my way home.  My neighborhood is shaped like a U and only has about 40 houses in it.  We have one house in my 'hood that is for sale, so I decided to drive by to be nosey see if it was that family that was having the sale.  When I did, I saw something that stopped me in my tracks.  That something was a Louis Phillipe mirror.

I sped drove home, grabbed some cash and immediately walked down to check it out.  (Okay, I'll be honest, I had to change out of my pajamas first.  Yes, yes, I went to McDonald's in my PJs.  Don't judge.  Or judge if you want to, but I don't care.  I had a bra on so it technically was like an outfit.  End Oversharing).  I had no idea how much she would want for the mirror, so I took about $50 with me, still thinking it would be a score.  When I got there, I saw something just like this:


via LGN

It was in great condition and was a really good size.  I asked the nice lady what she wanted for it and she said...$5.  SOLD. 

If you follow me on Instagram, I shared a sneak peek of my yard sale find.






I knew exactly what I wanted to do with this beauty and, since I was dressed, went to the store immediately to get my supplies.




 
Decisions.  Decisions.  After getting what I needed, I went home and got to work.  First step, a good cleaning.  Second step, a red undercoat.




When it was nice and dry, I brought the mirror inside and began the gold leafing process. 




As you can see from the mountain of unfolded laundry in the background of this photo, my priorities are totally in line.  When I was done, I put her up on the mantle and fell absolutely in love.    She is perfection.





 
 



I have not yet decided on how I want to decorate the mantle yet.  That is one of the toughest places for me to do and be satisfied.  And that is the key, I think...being satisfied. 

I played around with some design boards to see what I like best.


Mantle 2


Do you like a pair of topiaries?  Clean and classic?


Mantle 2

 
Or do you prefer mixing in my favorite blue & white?  Please help me decide.

Linking up to Jennifer at The Pink Pagoda's Blue & White Bash

xoxoK

13 comments:

  1. Blue and white would be great!! Love how classy it looks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a find!!! I vote blue and white, of course! And is that a red coral chandy reflected in your new mirror?!?!

    XOXO,
    The Glam Pad

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome find!! I can't wait until the weather is warmer and people will start to have yard sales again :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Total score!!!! Love the makeover too!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Judge you? I drive all over in the morning in my PJ's. I can't believe how fast you work. The mirror looks amazing and of course I like the blue and white.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Saw this on IG and looks amazing! Great job Kimber!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so funny! I live in my PJ's (and rarely fold my laundry) :)
    Amazing find and I love what you did to it. The scale is perfect for your mantle! My vote is blue and white. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a fan of topiaries, but the second with the blue and white gets my vote.
    Awesome mirror by the way! '-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fantastic mirror and great job with the gilding Kimber!!!! I love a great bargain and you really scored big. I like clean and sleek, like the topiaries or some blue and white porcelains. Have fun and congrats on the mirror! xo Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a steal on the mirror...and a great transformation! I have to agree with the others- go blue & white. Elle @ Summerland Homes & Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're so funny. I would totally drive in some form of pjs (they're usually yoga pants or sweats technically so I think it's totally acceptable), and I would totally neglect laundry for gold-leafing. Duh. I like the blue and white mantel the best. Rock on!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thought that as long as it was before 10 am it was fine to drive in PJs?! ; ) What a steal the mirror was, and I'm so impressed that you did the gold leafing instead of spray painting. It looks FANTASTIC!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG...swell DIY! I have not gold leafed anything in forever...and totally...riding around in PJ's is so daring....love it.

    ReplyDelete